Representing central Texans for over 45 years
Ted Smith was an active duty JAG legal assistance officer with III Corps at Fort Hood, Texas before he opened his private practice in Killeen in 1976. Since then he has represented thousands of Central Texans by providing solutions to their legal needs.
Social Security Disability
Ted finds special meaning in assisting families and individuals with their Social Security Disability claims. Clients get his special attention in all the phases of this complex process: building, documenting and filing the best possible case, from the right medical sources.
Beyond these rather technical aspects, Ted takes extra-ordinary time and care to prepare and coach his clients for their hearings. These hearings are often held from the Ted Smith Law Group offices, via video conferencing, making the event a much less stressful experience.
Giving back to the community
Ted is a fixture in the Central Texas community.
He has served as city attorney for Harker Heights; been elected to the Harker Heights City Council; served as chairman of the Harker Heights Chamber of Commerce, the Metroplex Hospital Foundation, and the Killeen Food Care Center Board of Directors. He is serving or has served on the Viva Les Artes Society Board of Directors, the Youth Services Bureau, Killeen and Harker Heights Rotary clubs, and Young Life.
honors and awards
- Army Commendation Medal
- Distinguished Military Attorney
- Presidential Citation, State Bar of Texas
- Liberty Bell Award
Ted has been certified in the fields of Residential Real Estate Law and Commercial Real Estate Law since December 1983.
professional associations and memberships
- Bell-Lampasas-Mills County Bar Association, Member
- Fort Hood Bar Association – Life member
- Harker Heights Chamber of Commerce – Past Chair and Military Affairs Co-Chair
- Harker Heights Rotary Club – Founding Member
- Killeen Food Care Center, President 1987 – 1992
- Harker Heights Texas City Attorney 1987 – 1990
- Harker Heights, Texas City Council Member 1993 – 1997
- Metroplex Hospital Foundation – Past Chair – Current Member
- Texas Bar Foundation – Life Fellow
past employment positions
- U.S. Army Judge Advocate General Corps, Captain, 1973 – 1976
- Served as Chief, Fort Hood Legal Assistance Office
- Founded what is today the Carlson Law Firm, PC in October 1976 (formerly Smith & Carlson, PC)
- City Attorney for City of Harker Heights, 1989 – 1992
- Founded the Ted Smith Law Firm, PLLC in January, 2005
- Founded Ted Smith Law Group, PLLC in August, 2011
Fort Hood Good Neighbor
Both Ted and his wife, Caryl, have been awarded the Fort Hood Good Neighbor Award for their continued contributions to the Fort Hood Community.