Personal injury proceedings are a marathon
An incident that becomes the subject of a personal injury proceeding is often one of the most traumatic incidents of your life.
It affects you physically, emotionally, financially and will more than likely strain all of your familial, workplace and interpersonal relationships.
Getting the right attorney is essential
You want to make sure that the attorney who handles your file not only understands the law applicable to this field, but also understands that you are a person, whose life has been completely altered.
Get a free appointment
Finding the right attorney starts with meeting him/her in person.
An appointment with a personal injury attorney should be reassuring and leave you confident that he or she has the competence and compassion to look after you.
The questions to get answers for
We encourage you to ask, and obtain satisfactory answers to the following questions:
- Will you be the attorney handling my file from beginning to end?
- Who else participates in working on my file?
- What experience do you and your staff have in handling cases such as mine?
- What does this process look like from retention to conclusion?
- Do you think that I have a good claim?
- What are the time frames we are looking at before this proceeding can be concluded?
- What happens if my claim is unsuccessful? Are there other avenues of recovery?
- Will my case go to trial? If so, when?
- What input do I have in the pre-trial and trial process?
If you are satisfied with what you hear up to this point, here are four more questions to ask:
- What kinds of damages can I recover for?
- What are your fees and how are they recovered? Do they change between negotiations and trial? If so, when?
- How often can I expect to hear from you?
- Will you help me with ancillary issues I have during this process, such as with debt collectors, employers, financial institutions?
A competent attorney will not only be able to answer the questions you have posed but be able to preempt any questions you are likely to have, specific to your particular fact situation.
While it is important to meet with an attorney prepared, it is just as important that your chosen attorney provide you with the reassurance and confidence that they are able to handle your file, keep you informed and bring your matter to a conclusion that you are satisfied with.
Need help with your personal injury case
We hope these questions help on the road to finding the right personal injury attorney.
If you would like to meet with one of our personal injury attorneys, do not hesitate to contact us via the contact form below or call 254.690.5688 for a free consultation.
Swapna Samuel lived in several countries and American states before finally settling on central Texas as home in 2016.
An international experience
Swapna graduated from the University of Melbourne, Australia with a Bachelors of Laws in 2009 and practiced as a family law attorney in Australia for approximately 2.5 years. After moving to the United States, she graduated with a Master of Laws from Michigan State University College of Law in 2014 and became licensed to practice law in Texas in 2017.
Family law at heart
As a family law attorney, Swapna has diligently worked towards attaining the best outcome for clients along all walks of life.